Friday, April 9, 2010

Day 10: Complaining - What's the point? (Dyer)

Complaining - What profit is there?

     Wayne Dyer asks two very important questions when it comes to complaining.  When you are in a social gathering and people are chatting, watch for the complaints.  He asks, "How much of the complaining that went on accomplished anything?  Who really cares about all of the things that we bemoaned tonight?"  I agree that complaining doesn't accomplish anything except putting people in a bad mood and bringing awareness to people's dislikes.  Although, I think our desires and dislikes can be communicated in a healthy way.  Instead of complaining, let others know your feelings with a calm, nice attitude and with an open heart seek any advice one might have to resolve the situation.

     I have to disagree with the second question, "Who really cares about all of the things that we bemoaned tonight?"  I think that the people complaining care about what was "bemoaned" otherwise they wouldn't have brought it up to share with others.  I think complaints are a cry for help, venting frustration, and sometimes jealousy.  When someone complains, maybe they are feeling frustrated and don't have the answers to solve their issue.  I have heard many people complain (including myself) about the amount of cops ticketing on the roads; that they should be solving real crimes instead.  I think this is a cry for help because the people feel as if their rights are being violated and they want it to stop.  Possibly, with enough complaining something will get done.  I'd have to disagree with that last statement.  I don't think it matters how much complaining goes on, there are still going to be cops tickets speeders.  I do think we can all discuss the issue and come up with a plan of action.  Maybe write to the police department or a news station to investigate the fairness of the situation. Another complaint could be caused by jealousy; jealousy of someone's posessions.  An example would be, "I think Britney (Spears) is over payed and fat."  Is that true?  Do you know that's true?  Or is that your personal opinion.  Maybe you are jealous of her fame, fortune, and all of the attention she gets. 
     Next time you want to complain, turn it around into a question, discuss calmly, and be open to a plan of action to remedy the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say!