Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Day 7: You don't need their approval (Dyer)

     You don't need their approval!  Surprised?  Wayne Dyer, in Your Erroneous Zones explains that approval-seeking is a desire rather than a necessity.   It is only an erroneous zone when it becomes a need rather than a want.  Everyone enjoys applause, compliments and praise.  It is self-destructive when you depend on someone's opinion of you for your self-worth.  You are worthy regardless of another's opinion of you or  your accomplishments. 
     I know I fall prey to approval-seeking.  I find myself saying one thing, finding that no one agrees or partially agrees and then I change my stance just a little to get an approval from them. In the past if I knew my friend is religious and they asked me what I did for the weekend.  I would leave out the part about drinking just so I know they will approve of my activities and like me.  This is hypocritical and I've come along way since I used to do this.  Now, I'm open with my weekend activities because I am not seeking approval and I am content with my actions.
     This morning I was discussing when I swam with the stingrays in Grand Cayman with a manager at work.  He had done it too.  He asked if I fed them.  I said I was too scared to do that.  He said, "oh come on."  I said, "ok, next time I will."  I was seeking approval and agreeing to something that I don't want to do.  Am I now obligated to do something I don't want to do because I was seeking approval?  When I do this approval-seeking, I am making the opinions of others more important than my own.  It sounds like I'm denying myself.  I don't like that.  Time to change.  Why?  Because dog gone it, I'm worth it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say!