Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day 13: Exploring the Unknown - being open to new experiences (Dyer)

     From a young age our culture warns us against walking outside the box and discourages wandering into unknown territory.  We are taught to listen to our parents, find a stable job, get married....BE SAFE!  Dyer says this is a psychological barrier that prevents us from our own personal fulfillment.  Many people equate the unknown with danger.  I once heard, it's not fear that you are feeling it's excitement!
     I've been practicing walking into unknown territory.  I said hi to a stranger and had a nice conversation about our dogs.  I am volunteering for a Dave Ramsey (financial guru) workshop where I facilitate discussion with a group.  I had so much anxiety over this for a whole week before hand.  I'm on my 5th week and it's fun and I now know I can do it.  I went to a gathering of non-religious, yet spiritual people; very different but I learned a lot.  I played a game of bean bag toss on my cruise and won against 14 other people.  I was afraid from all the eyes looking at me but I'm glad I challenged myself to do it.  If we don't try new things then we get bored.  We need change, we need challenge; we are here to grow.  Do the opposite of what you are afraid to do.  Be courageous!
     Some ideas of trying new things (of course you may have already done these but maybe you haven't and fear of the unknown is holding you back):  talk to a deaf person, homosexual or a handicapped person, learn a foreign language, introduce yourself to a stranger, go white water rafting, travel, try a new food, wear a different style of clothing, read a different newspaper or magazine topic, watch a different type if movie. Not the same movie with a different title.  Do that which you have been wanting to do but have been too afraid to do it.  It's not fear, it's excitement!
One last thought, do something new just because you WANT to, Dyer suggests.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say!