Friday, April 2, 2010

Day 5: Love yourself (Dyer)

In chapter 2 of Wayne Dyer's book, Your Erroneous Zones he explains that in order to achieve present-moment happiness you must learn to love yourself.  This was easy to do when you were a child but growing up you are taught that it is selfish and that 'good' people think of others before themselves.  Although, it is very important to love yourself.  "Giving love to others is directly related to how much love you have for yourself." 

He gives an example of a definition of love which is, "The ability and willingness to allow those that you care for to be what they choose for themselves, without any insistence that they satisfy you."  Once you allow yourself and accept yourself then you won't need to have other's reinforce your value.  And if you don't need that then you can be happy in the present-moment, all on your own.

Today, I went through a soft tissue graft.  I did it because I love myself.  Some people thought I didn't need it or I could wait longer although the dentist and periodontist thought I should get it, the sooner the better.  I could have waited longer.  I could have had a whole weekend of fun instead of sitting on the couch but I love myself.  I knew that this surgery would give me more health and happiness.  So, I decided one weekend sacrificed was worth every minute for myself.  That just feels good...to love me.


An exercise I started a few days ago:  Say, "I love you, Charissa (your name)."  At first it sounds strange, almost like it's not right but I'm glad I started saying it.  I hear a lot of friends say they put themselves last and their friends and family first.  There is always a time for self-sacrifice but to what extent is it okay?  You can only love others as much as you love yourself.  So, if we love ourselves a lot then we can love others a lot too which makes both parties happy.  Start doing today for yourself what you do for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say!