Friday, April 16, 2010

Day 15: The Justice Trap (Ch 8 Dyer)

     "Justice does not exist.  It never has, and never will."  says Wayne Dyer in Your Erroneous Zones.  We just need to look at nature to realize this.  "Tornadoes, floods, tidal waves, draughts are all unfair."  We may say, "It isn't fair." to justify our unhappiness.  This is an erroneous zone, when we punish ourselves with negative emotion as we fail to see the justice that we demand.
     I live with this erroneous zone.  Whenever I think I'm being treated unfairly I get so mad.  Last night my friend and I were headed to a bar and they had a $5 cover charge.  I thought this was unfair so we didn't go there.  Did we miss out on fun?  Possibly.  One of my friends at work makes more money than me and I feel we are at the same level.  I think this is unfair.  Or is it?  What is unfair to me might actually be fair.  Or is fairness even possible?

     Dyer says that things aren't fair.  To fight an injustice may be admirable but being upset over unfairness is as neurotic as guilt, approval-seeking or any of the other erroneous zones.  You can try to fight injustice but it exists everywhere.  Realizing that its okay that things are unfair and not be upset over it is a step closer to being happy.  Getting riled up only hurts you. 
     Since I get very upset when things are unfair (in my opinion), I will try to remember that life may be unfair in my eyes but to accept that life has different perspective for every single person.  Each one of us gets treated differently and sees themselves treated with their own perspective.  What I mean is, I might think it's unfair that the nightclub charges $5 but someone else might think that's a bargain.  What's unfair to me is fair to someone else.  So, the next time I get upset I will look at the situation through someone else's eyes.  I won't get upset because life can't be fair.  It's impossible to please everyone.  It is possible to not get upset and to see a different perspective than your own.   The world isn't out to get me and use me.  It's there to be enjoyed and used for all the loving potential it wants to give to us.  Are some rules silly?  Yes.  Can we try to change them?  Yes.  Should we get upset and unhappy?  No.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say!