Thursday, April 8, 2010

Day 9: Breaking free from the past. (Dyer)

How do you describe yourself?  Wayne Dyer puts a clever way to reveal how you describe yourself.  It's any sentence that you would begin with an "I'm".  Some examples:  I'm shy.  I'm lazy.  I'm musical.  I'm forgetful.  On the positive side:  I'm sweet.  I'm a good swimmer.  I'm kind.  Wayne Dyer says that labeling ourselves is negating ourselves.  Once we have a label on ourselves, now we must live up to this label and therefore stunting our own potential for growth.

I was raised with the "I'm" that I'm shy.  Anyone that knows me wouldn't think so.  I don't think so but that's only because I have broken past my own label barrier.  I don't like being shy so I push myself to talk in meetings or in front of groups of people.  I still am haunted by this I'm but I'm slowly dis-labeling myself and growing into my potential.  Last year, I could barely speak in a meeting.  Today, my heart still beats fast, my voice gets a little shaky, and my thoughts get a little muddled but I'm at least speaking up.  I'm NOT shy.  I'm courageous! 

I'ms are the result of the use of these 4 Neurotic sentences:
1.  "That's me."
2.  "I've always been that way."
3.  "I can't help it."
4.  "That's my nature."

All of these sentences (self-labels) are the rational why one will never be differerent or even consider changing.  You are saying, "And I intend to continue being the way I've always been."

If I were to label myself it would be with the highest labeling I know.  I'm loving.  I'm peaceful.  I'm truthful.  I'm knowledgeable.  I'm trusting.  I'm patient.  I'm humble.  I'm joyful.  I'm thankful.  Just by labeling myself these I want to live up to these I'ms.  In the same way of the limiting I'ms (ie. I'm shy) make me feel I need to live to it.  Try it out.  What I'ms do you have on yourself?  Which I'ms would you like to have for yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say!