Thursday, April 15, 2010

Day 14: You SHOULD do this! Why? Because I said so.

     "The world is full of "shoulds" that people apply to their behavior without evaluation, and the total of these shoulds makes up a very large erroneous zone." states Wayne Dyer in Your Erroneous Zones.  Following a set of rules "just because" can be detrimental if it gets in the way of healthy and effective behavior.
     Today, my friend said to me, "You should sign up for boot camp."  I was a little taken aback, maybe because I had read this chapter.  Why "should" I do that because you think it would be good for me or because you think I will be healthier if I did?  I already feel like I do my part to be healthy.  I didn't feel like I needed anyone to tell me what I should or shouldn't do.  Please keep your opinion to yourself.  (no hard feelings please)
     I know I have said you should to many people; you should try this exercise class; you shouldn't drink so much coffee; you should smile more; you should check out this movie.  Why do we feel we should let people know what they should or shouldn't do?  Last I checked no one likes to be told what to do.  Next time I have a suggestion for someone I will leave it at that, a suggestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say!